The key to Peace is Tolerance Anywhere, Everywhere:
Tolerance is the advantage of a cultured age. It helps us to put up with those who have diverse traditions and thoughts, diverse philosophies and point of views.
Tolerance is the most significant in our life if we want to live peacefully. If we practice tolerance in our every actions and deeds, speech and behavior, it would lead to peace, otherwise, it would be an atmosphere of disagreement and confusion. In ancient days we had intolerance everywhere. Intolerance means refusal to be just and fair-minded. All the intolerance comes from narrow mindedness and blind selfishness. It is the result of inflexibility, a certainty that there is only one belief that is right. Without broad mindedness energy is wasted in pointless arguments.
Man is a social being and has to live in a spirit of harmony and cooperation with others. In this process some amount of give and take is necessary. So with all these examples it is crystal clear that tolerance is at the root of the peaceful solution of problems of all kinds. Hence it is over duty to cultivate the habits of tolerance.
How to Promote Peace and Tolerance:
How can one promote peace and tolerance? The first reasonable thing that would probably come to mind is by adopting rules and regulations, laws and declarations; and, indeed, a lot has been done in this respect. To take just one example, the Declaration of Principles on Tolerance was adopted by the General Conference of UNESCO on 16 November 1995.
It must have marked a new chapter in the long evolution of the idea of peace and tolerance, successfully getting it across to every single living being or did it? What if we take a look at it and any other such document from a different perspective, zooming in on just two tiny pieces of the whole diversity? Not at the state level but at the very grass roots through the eyes of two ordinary representatives of humankind?
Promoting tolerance and peace is innovative. We have to remind people why life is beautiful, why they should work together, and why we must help each other. Because it’s not about race, or language, or color, or religion, or who is right and who is wrong, it’s about bringing together our world and healing each other, and embrace diversity, also teaching not to fear but to love, and this in return will give us a new peaceful world.
Tolerance is the key to create peace, and this key is the way to implement the values of tolerance, through various means. For instance:
- Education: As the great Nelson Mandela said and I quote “education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world”. By educational system we can inspire the future generation to live with peace, and they may continue this idea with their children. Especially primary school, if younger ages are taught this continually, there is more potential for the lesson to stick, and may be it will inspire the kids to do more for their communities and spread tolerance. Because school subject comes after ethics.
- Law: Laws should be fair with everyone, with white, black, Muslim, Christian … Because law is above all of us, and the justice must consist in all the judgment, and look at people in equal.
- Media: Nowadays, media is so powerful, because of it the world becomes a small village, and through it (TV show, news, programs) it will be more easy to spread the idea of tolerance and peace and to sow as fast as possible these values in people’s hearts.
The project impact
Tolerance has a major impact on our lives as a means of modifying codes and guidelines and to allow changing attitudes to be accommodated.
Just imaging how beautiful the world would be without war and without hate, the main effect is to counter these bad things which put our world in bad picture, and to do our best to spread the values of tolerance and peace. These two values will make the world a very nice place, that any individual can live without fear, and make any person feel proud of his religion, color, gender,… etc. In result famine will lessen, poverty will lessen, hate, racism … Furthermore, this project will open a new page of world’s life, page of love, brotherhood, tolerance and peace.
How the UAE actively promotes peace and tolerance with coexistence:
UAE is a role model for tolerance, coexistence and understanding. Its leaders always exert their efforts intended to achieve communication among all residents and fostering principles of cooperation, love and peace across the Arab World and the world at large. The United Arab Emirates selected a Minister of State for Tolerance. The Ministry opened the National Tolerance Programme and implemented the Anti-discrimination law as a part of the program.
His Highness Shaikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai have launched the National Tolerance Programme. The values of tolerance, fairness and respect to others are being practiced in UAE. The programme includes cooperating with centralized and ministries with five main themes. These are:
- Solidify the management’s responsibility to promote peace and tolerance,
- Uniting the family’s responsibility in nation building, fostering peace and tolerance among youth and teaching them away from extremism,
- Improving scientific and cultural matters,
- Incorporating worldwide efforts to promote peace and tolerance.
- The program set up Council of Tolerance, which will cultivate rules to foster peace and tolerance locally, regionally and and globaly.
Everyone is encouraged to support the Peace and Tolerance Program, which the Cabinet members called as 1 of the first of its kind globally. A UAE Ministry of Tolerance, Coexistence and Peace is set up, fostering respect for social diversity and refusing violence, radicalism and discrimination. Anti-discriminatory law is strictly implemented in the UAE which prohibits everyone similar from discerning against anybody on the grounds of caste, creed, culture or religion.
Tolerance is still a rare currency in many nations, which don’t believe in diversity. All people are different in everything even if they live in one country.
The societies that manage the differences has succeeded in popularize values of tolerance and peace among people. Promoting tolerance and peace has only been achieved in developed and civilized societies that emerged from the time of myth to the time of science and modernity. To sum up, there is no life and no dignity without freedom, and there is no freedom without peace, and there is no peace without tolerance, and no tolerance without accepting the other.